Life
comments 14

Portents & Omens

About Last Night …

I think I should have taken last nights vivid red skies as a warning, or portent of things to come. Realising that maybe Thor and Odin were, once again, engaged in a battle staining the skies red with the blood of their enemies … or, that Mother Nature was simply putting on a good show. Either way, maybe the events that unfolded might not have been such a surprised had we heeded the import of such beautiful but beguiling red skies.

As it was, despite wanting to go to bed early last night, it was after eleven by the time we hit the sheets. And then, tossing and turning, neither of us could find sleep. We both ended up getting out of bed, going to the loo, having a drink, and trying again to find sleep. But even as we drifted off into NeverNever Land someone, or, something, or, imbued with supernatural abilities, one of our plants leapt off a DVD unit and crashed to the floor at just after 3:30 in the morning.

We both jumped out of bed at the sound wondering what was going on, and on looking around the dinning area found said plant lying on the floor, soil strewn all over the place. Triffids anyone?

No, neither of us decided to do house cleaning at that ungodly hour and while trying to figure out how the plant managed to get from shelf to floor, went back to bed in the vein hope of actually getting some sleep. It was not to be. No sooner had we said goodnight to one another, than outside, in the dark of night, our Song Sparrow decided to serenade us with two strands of the most breath taking harmony that we both said the same thing, at the same time, and burst out laughing!

So now, sat here writing this weird little post about, well, nothing, I’m yawning listening to said bird outside my office window singing his heart out, and wishing I could have another 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Maybe tonight we’ll watch the skies and heed the warnings and, just watch a movie, on the couch, till we both fall asleep under the blankie!

And you, how was your night?

14 Comments

1. What a strange night, Alex! And that’s a gorgeous evening sky; I’m very glad that you shared the ‘photo with us. Your story about the plant reminded me of how it feels when we have tremors here, and things shuffle a bit. It doesn’t happen often, but it does happen. Intriguing!

• La Blonde says

Yes, it was one of those nights that left us perplexed, Margot. But still, we were laughing about it over breakfast. The planet, however, has left us baffled. I’m sure it was something very mundane that caused it to topple over. But it’s always fun to throw out there they silliest of ideas as to what happened: alien invasion, gods and monsters. But who knows, maybe we had a minor earthquake and didn’t know it. After all maybe the bird knew more than we did? πŸ˜‰

2. I was thinking minor earthquake when I was reading about that poor plant but one can never know – unless there is some public account of earthquakes covering your area? I probably would not inquire though as I like that mystery aspect of it very much. 😊

Absolutely gorgeous sky, I love how wonderful nature is. 🌍

• La Blonde says

Vera, it never dawned on us earthquake that is, till Margot mentioned it in her comment. We do get the occasional quake, but they are likely in another area not really IN the city itself. So it wasn’t something we thought of.

Joyfully, the mystery will remain. But I will move said plant to a new lower location, so she is less likely to have another fall! πŸ˜‰

And we are blessed with some great weather up here. I’m sure you are going to love my snow-scenes comes the winter!

• We had a minor Earthquake in Bristol the other day and were blissfully unaware of it. Sometimes they are so tiny that we only realize we just had one thanks for our friends from Bristol Post. πŸ™‚ Good to hear your plant has been relocated and that the mystery remains. πŸ™‚ Maybe it was just your plant telling you to relocate it.. πŸ™‚

I cannot wait for your snow covered photos. I love winter. πŸ™‚ My boyfriend and I are going to do a 2 week long tour of West Canada this autumn. I am crossing my fingers (and toes!) for some good weather (and no close bear encounters πŸ˜‰ )

• Alex says

I’m guessing Bristol, like QC, isn’t known for its earthquakes. But then, like around here, there have been a lot of mining over the decades, which also cause the earth to move. And yes, the grape ivy is now safe at a lower altitude. ☺️

Oh, I too love winter, just not 7 months of it. The year is short enough here, and when we get snow, oh boy we get snow. As for holidays, I think you’re going to really love the West Coast. And depending on which side of the Rockies you, will determine the kind of weather you will enjoy too. Keep those toes crossed! πŸ‘

• Thanks, we will be making our way from Vancouver to Calgary so hopefully, weather will be kind then. If not, at least we get to experience something different anyway. πŸ™‚

Glad to hear the grape ivy is now safe. πŸ™‚

• La Blonde says

Oh, that’s wonderful. As there are so many lovely places to see along the way. Will you do the Rain Forest, or go to Whistler? I hear the views are spectacular!

• We are still ironing out our itinerary but Vancouver to Whistler on the Sea to Sky Highway is on the agenda, also Jasper National Park, The Icefields Parkway, Lake Louise, Banff and Canmore. I think ideally, we should take at least a month but sadly, our work holiday allowance doesn’t ‘allow’ it. So packing everything in 2 weeks will be a challenge. But we are up for it. I will look into Rain Forest as well, thank you. πŸ™‚

• La Blonde says

Oh, indeed, there is so much to see along that side of the coast, and if you only have two weeks, you’re going to be on the go, constantly! I’m sure you’re up for the challenge and will still manage to squeeze in plenty of the best sights. So much beauty, so little time!

I also hope you post lots and lots of photos too, so we can follow along vicariously! πŸ˜€

• Indeed Alex, so much beauty, so little time. πŸ™‚

I can definitely post photos. I am more active on Instagram (if you are active there) @UnfilteredTales – but I can also incorporate them into the blog. πŸ™‚

• La Blonde says

I’m on instagram too @floraincognito is my handle (because I usually post lots of flower photos). So we can follow one another there. πŸ˜€

3. I will keep your secret safe, Alexandra, though methinks a shockwave from a TARDIS flyover rattled your plant to the floor. I’m an expert in paranormal phenomena, and I do not believe the red skies created any cracks in the air for mischievous critters to cross over from the other side and misbehave inside your home. If the unsolved events continue to occur, I recommend contacting the good folks at Torchwood. Oh, please give Captain Jack Harkness my warmest regards. πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘½

• La Blonde says

Ha! Ha! You could very well be right, Kenny, earthquakes and the TARDIS were not really what I was thinking at 3:30 AM. More like I’ll murder that poltergeist if I ever meet it. But it’s good to get your expert opinion on the matter, which is reassuring it’s nothing from the other side, or the other dimension(s).

And if it continues, yes, we might just give Jack our best, and ask him to look into it, Kenny! πŸ˜‰